The Institute of Serology, Kolkata under Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India, was established in the year 1912 and was known as “Imperial Serologists Department”. At that time activities of the Department was mainly on forensic serology of undivided India. After Independence the Department diversified its activities in other fields and was named as “Department of Serologist & Chemical Examiner to the Government of India.” In the year 1996 the Institute was renamed again as “Institute of Serology” Kolkata by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare New Delhi.
The Administrative control of this Institute rests with the Director General of Health Services, New Delhi, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. Since its inception, this Institute was mainly engaged in the field of Forensic Serology with diversification in other fields like VDRL antigen production, Anti-sera production, Anti-H Lectin production, STI diagnosis research and training through the Regional STD Reference Laboratory funded by NACO through WB AIDS Control Society, WHO-NPSP Polio and Measles – Rubella Laboratory.